2015 Proven Performance Escalator for 2012 Rookies

[adsenseyu1]

One of the changes of the 2011 CBA was the inclusion of a performance escaltor into the contracts of all offensive and defensive rookies selected in the 3rd through 7th rounds of the NFL draft. Many teams were already using a similar mechanism in the old CBA, but this was now mandatory for all contracts with the escalator called the “Proven Performance Escalator”.

The PPE is earned by meeting certain playtime thresholds. Any player who plays in either 35% of his teams snaps over a three year period or has two individual seasons with at least 35% playtime will earn the escalator. For the 2015 season the player’s salary will equal the salary of the lowest Restricted Free Agent tender. For this year that number will be somewhere between $1,503,000 and $1,574,000. The final number is determined when the salary cap limit is finalized by the NFL. The PPE is not guaranteed nor does it prevent a player from signing any contract extension. Kickers and punters are ineligible for the PPE.

48 players in 2015 will qualify for the PPE. At the top of that list is Seahawks QB Russell Wilson, who will likely sign an extension long before the PPE would ever be paid. Other big name players to earn the PPE are Nick Foles, TY Hilton, and Alfred Morris. The Vikings should lead the way with four players, followed by the Texans with 3.

With all the recent talk about underclassman declaring for a draft to get the clock moving for a lucrative extension these numbers should be eye opening. Only 25% of those drafted in the later rounds played 35% of their teams snaps. These 25% will likely move on to a second contract. For the other 75% that failed to earn the PPE that clock may be winding down in August, if it hasnt expired already.

Here is the list of players I have earning the PPE. If you see any errors or have names to add please let me know.

PlayerTeam
George IlokaBengals
Mohamed SanuBengals
Nigel BradhamBills
Malik JacksonBroncos
Danny TrevathanBroncos
Billy WinnBrowns
Bobby MassieCardinals
Johnnie TroutmanChargers
Dwayne AllenColts
TY HiltonColts
Lamar MillerDolphins
Olivier VernonDolphins
Brandon BoykinEagles
Nick FolesEagles
Lamar HolmesFalcons
Antonio AllenJets
Demario DavisJets
Mike DanielsPackers
Josh NormanPanthers
Alfonzo DennardPatriots
Miles BurrisRaiders
Chris ivensRams
Trumaine JohnsonRams
Gino GradkowskiRavens
Alfred MorrisRedskins
Corey WhiteSaints
Akiem HicksSaints
JR SweezySeahawks
Russell WilsonSeahawks
Kelvin BeachumSteelers
Brandon BrooksTexans
Jared CrickTexans
Ben JonesTexans
Coty SensabaughTitans
Robert BlantonVikings
Rhett EllisonVikings
Jarius WrightVikings
Josh RobinsonVikings

[adsenseyu4]

  • Troy Chapman

    So the NFLPA report is using an approximate number at the moment?

  • Jim

    Jason, what are the numbers for the 2012 1st round pick, 5th year options? Are you going to do an article on that soon, who you project to receive tenders or not?

  • Jim

    What happens with 2nd rd picks?

    The last pick of the 2012 2nd rd was Reuben Randle, who has a 2015 salary of about $800k. Even though he met the same playing time threshold (and generally a better player than) WR M. Sanu of Cincinnatti, who was a 3rd Rd pick, Sanu will get his salary raised to almost twice that of Randle? I understand that Randle got a little higher bonus/guaruntees, and a little bit higher salaries his first 3 years, but it looks like Sanu will get a slightly higher 4 year payout, for being a lesser player with a lower draft slot?

    • Troy Chapman

      Nothing happens with the 2nd round pick. But good point made in the total money received over the 4 year contract.

      Houston has a 6th and two 3rd rounders that will have a higher 2015 salary than the 1st round choice of 2012. Granted the 1st rounder had the bigger SB and GTD money.

    • eddiea

      I looked it up and it’s b/c of differences in bonuses and guarantees. But some players will get this b/c their teams are bad and they had to play, imo. At least one can get more money early, before 2nd contract. Right?

  • Pingback: New York Jets Flight Connections 1-17-15 - Sports Fire()

  • Pingback: New York Jets Flight Connections 1-17-15 | Sports Discovery()

  • Pingback: New York Jets Flight Connections 1-17-15 - Sports Train()

  • Pingback: CHAWK TALK: Everything being said about the Seahawks()

  • Pingback: Browns DL Billy Winn Earns Proven Performance Escalator | Sports Feedr()